Solar Energy

Geothermal Heatpumps – Use the Advantage of Geothermal Energy

Information about Geothermal Heatpumps

Some information about Geothermal Heatpumps. Are they worth considering?

Though when speaking about Geothermal Energy on this Website I normally mean extracting heat from deep within the earth (hot rocks, hot water), there is also a system of Geothermal Heat (and Cooling) that doesn’t need deep drilling into the earth. See Advantages of Geothermal Energy for more information.

The systems based on a Geothermal Heatpumps makes using the advantage of Geothermal Energy cheaper and less risky (no breaking through the earth’s crust.

Example of a Closed Loop System Courtesy US DOE/EERE

Lets begin with an image of a possible way to use a heatpump.

You have to know that with about 7 m (23 ft) into the ground the earth’s temperature is very stable. In the summer this area is cooler than the air outside, and in the winter it is warmer than outside. (Well, at least for normal, inhabitable regions 🙂

So Geothermal Heatpumps and the systems using them in the winter “suck” (well, that’s too dramatic, but you get the picture) the heat into your home, either by heating your rooms or by heating your water tanks.

Some installations even allow for a cooling in the summer, by reversing the heat flow.

So Geothermal Heatpumps allow for complete independence from the grid to heat (or cool) your home, no risk of earthquakes and failures by drilling too deep into the earth.

But this is not all. There are more great features about these pumps and the system:

Did you know, that these systems need up to 50% less electricity? And that you can combine them with Solar Energy, so that you are completely off-grid?

So all in all your new Geothermal Heatpump-system needs 72% less energy than your conventional electric radiator. And with Solar Energy, the rest of 28 % is absolutely free, too.

There is no risk: I wrote some paragraphs above about “sucking” the heat from the ground. This is totally risk free and you do not have to fear to cool down the earth. Below 7 m the earth is more like a cave, very temperature stable.

These systems are also phantastic to control humidity. I hate the air produced by normal heatings. Too dry… These system keep the room humidity around 50 %, so less colds and flus.

And the best part about these systems is that they are nearly indestructable. Many systems have warranties up to 50 years, and the heat pumps themselves lasts often more than 20 years. What a return on investment!!

So, do not want to become to euphoric, but another advantage – didn’t need more, did you? – is that you can install Geothermal Heatpumps sysstems in existing buildings easily. The heating requires less space than your old heating (or air conditioning, by the way).

And once you combine that with Solar Energy…well, this website succeeded…Congratulations: You are independent and immune to the coming enrgy crisis shock!

Back from Geothermal Heatpumps to Advantages of Geothermal Energy

Similar Posts

Leave a Reply